I am a big believer that sweet treats can be thoroughly delicious while being thoroughly nourishing. The following is something I would allow my kids to eat with breakfast…if they asked.
A big thanks goes to Kendhal at Our Nourishing Roots for the inspiration for this recipe. Check out her peppermint fudge and citrus fudge. (Kendahl has so many amazing recipes on her site. If you are a real foodie, you will find her blog to be a terrific source of information and inspiration).
Chocolate Nut Fudge Recipe
1/2 cup coconut manna
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup all natural nut butter
1/4 cup raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
a couple handfuls of chopped nuts or slivered almonds (optional)
1. If you would like to top your fudge with nuts, toast them in a dry pan over medium heat until they become aromatic. Make sure you stir them occasionally so they don’t burn.
2. Over medium-low heat, melt the coconut manna and oil.
3. Remove from heat and add the cocoa powder, stirring until completely dissolved.
4. Stir in the honey and nut butter until smooth and then stir in the extracts.
5. Grease a small pan and pour the mixture in. Sprinkle with nuts.
6. Stick it in the fridge until it hardens and then cut in squares. Store in the fridge (or freezer), as they will become too soft if left out. They taste great right from the fridge, though letting them sit on the counter for a few minutes makes the texture even better.
So, what makes these delicious morsels so good for you?
Coconut oil lowers the risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes, reduces inflammation, aids digestion, increases metabolism and improves memory function. It is also great for the immune system due to its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, and it is rich in anti-oxidants. (This is the very short list. Coconut oil is such an amazing food and there are so many more health benefits in addition to the ones I listed).
Honey also lowers the risk of diseases such as cancer and heart disease, and like coconut oil is anti-bacterial. It has been used to treat digestive disorders, arthritis, insomnia, colds and much more. Eating local, raw honey is a great way to reduce allergy symptoms.
Nuts are a great source of protein, healthy fats, fiber and ant-oxidants. They are great for your heart!